Our pets are curious by nature, but not everything they explore is harmless. There are some natural hazards our pets face in the form of the plants we see throughout the year.

Like all toxic substances, how badly your pet will be affected depends on how much of the plant your pet has eaten. Some plants are more poisonous than others and so a small amount will cause severe signs. Others are less toxic but its’ still best to avoid them.

Azalea / Rhododendron: Every part of this plant is highly poisonous to cats and dogs, causing vomiting, weakness and drooling are the mild symptoms, severe reaction include depression of the central nervous system, collapse and even sudden death.

 

 

 

 

Daffodils: Daffodils are poisonous to dogs if they eat the bulbs or flowers, or drink water from a vase with daffodils in. They can give your dog an upset stomach, make them vomit, and make them very sleepy and wobbly.

 

 

 

 

 

Geranium: The Geranim genus is safe but the Pelargonium species is the poisonous one and the whole part of this plant is toxic to dogs and cats. The signs and symptoms of toxicity are vomiting, lethargy, loss of appetite and skin rash. Vomiting, shortly after ingesting the leaves may be the first sign that your dog is sick. Other symptoms are lethargy or depression caused by slowing the body’s metabolism.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hyacinth: The flowers of the hyacinth are not highly toxic to dogs, although ingesting them can lead to oral and throat inflammation. Depending on the amount a dog consumes, symptoms can include profuse drooling, vomiting and diarrhoea.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Iris/Gladioli: All parts of these plants are toxic, but the bulb is the most dangerous as it contains a higher concentration of chemicals. Symptoms include drooling, vomiting, lethargy and loss of appetite.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ragwort: All parts of this plant are poisonous even a small amount can be fatal to cats and dogs. Symptoms may appear very rapidly or over a few days to a week without any warning sign. Signs to look out for are weight loss, depression, lethargy, excessive yawning, can become uncoordinated, head pressing, vomiting and diarrhoea.

 

 

 

Rhubarb: All parts of the rhubarb plant contain the calcium oxalate crystals that cause distress. Calcium oxalate is a calcium salt of oxalic acid which produces numbness or irritation to the tissues it comes in contact with. Chewing may cause immediate pain and inflammation to the mouth and throat as these crystals are embedded in the soft tissues. If any plant material from the leaves are swallowed, the irritation can extend to the throat and down the gastrointestinal tract, causing swelling and severe pain. The swelling may cause breathing difficulty if the airway is blocked.

 

 

 

Snowdrops: While all the plant is toxic, usually the bulbs are most toxic to pets. The symptoms of ingesting the bulb is abdominal pain, diarrhoea, excessive drooling, vomiting, increased urination, lack of coordination, muscle spasms and seizures.

 

 

 

Tulip: Poisoning symptoms from ingestion of the tulip plant, particularly the bulb can start within a few hours. Signs that your pets has ingested any part of the tulip plant could include, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, vomiting, lethargy, dizziness, excessive drooling, tremors and breathing difficulties.

If your pet has eaten anything they shouldn’t have, or if you’re worried about them at all then please contact one of our four surgeries.